Welcome to the Wednesday Walk Around the Web, where we weave & wind through weblinks weekly. Hopefully you will find the links on offer amusing, interesting, or informative.
- In Portland, Oregon, unspecified federal goons in unmarked vehicles have rolled in to kidnap people in the name of intimidating the populace into giving up on demonstrations against white supremacy, “like stop and frisk meets Guantanamo Bay” according to one civil rights attorney. The Department of Homeland Security, which serves as a moral indictment against the US by its mere existence, issued a list of graffitied buildings as justification for the invasion. As we all know, a bit of paint on a wall is a far more grievous and pressing issue than cops who murder black & brown people for sport.
- Meanwhile, in Oakville, Ontario, authorities recently began investigating graffiti painted on a Nazi memorial as a hate crime — as in, the graffiti accurately describing the monument is purportedly a hate crime, as opposed to the memorial to literal Nazis, who served in the literal Waffen-SS, literally serving the literal Third Reich, sitting in the middle of Canada. The cops eventually tried to walk it back, noting that they “regret any hurt caused by misinformation that suggests that the Service in any way supports Nazism,” which is the sort of sentence that really ought to cause the person saying it to reconsider the life choices that have brought them to this pass.
- If you’re struggling to get people to stay properly distanced when you have to go out, it might be time to go on the offensive with brilliant safety equipment that will absolutely inspire people to stay far enough away from you.
- You know what they say about lockdowns, though — sex finds a way.
- There’s a well-known axiom that absolutely every device and every program can be made to play DooM. Your graphing calculator plays DooM. Your watch plays DooM. Excel plays DooM. The last fromtier for DooM has been reached — my friends, Windows Task Manager plays DooM.
- Sometimes you’re driving through the countryside and you suddenly come upon a humongous honking sinkhole. You can see a lot of things driving through the countryside — hopefully, one hopes, during the day.
- Because no difference has been found between matter and antimatter, technically speaking, the universe should not exist, though assuring us of this just feels like a cruel tease.
- The only constructive use of social media is by food brands. Change my mind.
- (Banner image)