Wednesday Walk Around the Web – 09/12/2018
Welcome to the Wednesday Walk Around the Web, where we weave & wind through weblinks weekly. Hopefully you will find the links on offer amusing, interesting, or, occasionally, profound. Views expressed in the Wednesday Walk do not necessarily reflect those of anyone but the writer.
- Okay, so far as I know we never got to use the red sarcophagus juice for the ritual we needed to perform to prevent…cripes, take your pick, I’m sure you see the news (and the Bummer Sections here in the ol’ Walk). But there may yet be hope. In modern-day Russia, a two-thousand-year-old bottle full of as-yet-unidentified liquid might give us another chance. The insects have been procured, we just need to get everything in one place. Someone tell CRJ to bring her sword.
- Sometimes, if you try really really hard and have a pre-existing podcast empire, you can wish your way into a movie.
- It’s thrilling to find someone who might be the best at something you never thought would be a category before. I bring you one member of the Baltimore Ravens marching band air-drumming to Rush.
- Here’s one for the PTBN Play set: Archive.org runs a library of DOS games playable in-browser using a DOSBox plugin. Knock yourselves out on anything from OG SimCity to Commander Keen to Wolfenstein.
- I appreciate things like this reconstruction of “The Imperial March” using only the string section of the concert suite for the different perspective you can get on one of the most famous compositions of our time. (I’m sure for people who actually know things about music there’s something to be learned about counterpoint in composition Bring on the woodwind-only version.
- Bless the hobbyists and the tinkerers, turning out special projects like this massive knitted cosmic map.
- This Week in Actual Good News: India finally legalized sex, undoing homophobic laws pushed by colonial England, repealed in 2009, and reinstated in 2013. It’s been a wild ride for, y’know, human rights.
- This Week in Supercuts: Every “Wow” in Owen Wilson’s Career Edition
- RIP Botham Jean, murdered by a cop whose desperate scramble for excuses grows more absurd by the day.
- Also in murderers/cops, in Baltimore a task force got caught carrying toy guns to plant on people they shoot (among other egregious indulgences), because we as a society have decided that carrying a toy gun in the presence of an oh-so-sensitive cop merits summary execution.
- We as a society have also apparently decided that teens can be detained by the Secret Service for not being sufficiently enthusiastic at one of the president’s ego-soothing hate rallies.
- Meanwhile, prisoners across the US are bravely striking to try to force some concessions and ease cruel, inhumane treatment.
- Just about the only thing I know about tennis is that it screws over Serena Williams at every opportunity.
- The common story about Victorian-era doctors treating “hysteria” in women through the use of early vibrators may be completely made up. Not sure what to make of that one, really.
- This Week in Squad Goals: Groovy Cat Celebration Edition
Art, cats, deconstructed music, DOS, fuck the police, Funk, guerilla art, hysteria, John Williams, knitting, LGBTQIAP+, murder, Music, Owen Wilson, police overreach, prison reform, racism, RIP, rituals, Serena Williams, sex, space, Star Wars, tennis, the McElroys, trolls, Victorian sex, Video Games