Wednesday Walk Around the Web – 07/11/2018
Welcome to the Wednesday Walk Around the Web, where we weave & wind through weblinks weekly. Hopefully you will find the links on offer amusing, interesting, or, occasionally, profound. Views expressed in the Wednesday Walk do not necessarily reflect those of anyone but the writer.
- It’s a bad day at work when you’re the low-level worker at Sony who posts trailers to the company YouTube channel and you post the whole movie instead. Whoooooooooooooooooops!
- This Week in Neural Net Processors, Learning Computers: I think the Visual Chatbot has a better understanding of The Last Jedi than the hater brigade.
- This point-counterpoint on whether it’s okay to dump your trash on the floor of a movie theater reminds me how rarely these columns have equally good points and counterpoints.
- The best yarn bomb I’ve seen has to be the sweater someone knitted for Mister Rogers’ statue. Incidentally, if you haven’t seen the Mister Rogers documentary, GO. Go and understand that there is goodness and kindness in the world. Go and have an hour and a half blessedly free of cynicism.
- In the US, we’re probably heading into a dark, dark time for the Supreme Court that might quite closely rival the Gilded Age, so I’m not sure if it’s a comfort to be reminded of some of the hoffirying decisions of one of the worst justices ever that we managed to scrape and claw our way away from, to a large extent, for a time, or if it’s a horrifying glimpse of the future.
- PTBN Grand Poobah Brad Hindscrooge brings word of a young man who will be remembered in death by the way that he lived. (Warning: autoplay video…that has absolutely nothing to do with the article)
- Good ol’ Brad has another one for us. It’d be easy to assume that spiders flying around on balloons made of their own silk are just launching up on a passing breeze, but the truth is stranger and more amazing: they’re mostly using the Earth’s electric field.
- RIP Saman Gunan, the diver who died delivering air tanks to the Thai soccer team trapped in a flooded cave. Eventually all of the players and their coach were saved. (Warning: autoplay videos)
- In other good news from around the world, Ethiopia and Eritrea have ended an uneasy “no war, no peace” state that’s lasted for almost 20 years.
- Next time you’re standing by a borehole in Antarctica (never let it be said that I don’t understand my audience here), try dropping a chunk of ice into it until you get the cartoon gunshot sound.
- The rise and fall of the pie to the face is a memento mori for all of our trendy trends.
- Leakage leakage leakage, leakage leakage leakage leakage leakage — leakage leakage leakage. Leakage leakage. Leakage leakage; leakage leakage leakage leakage leakage leakage. Leakage? Leakage leakage leakage.
Antarctica, comedy, daring rescues, death, electricity, Eritrea, Ethiopea, etiquette, history, horrifying people, ice, leakage, Mister Rogers, neural networks, RIP, science, spiders, Star Wars, star wars: the last jedi, US Supreme Court, Video Games, War, whoops, yarn bombs